Client Eligibility for VSWR Services
Victim services is available for victims of any crime or tragic circumstance, including but not limited to:
- Break & Enter
- Criminal Harassment (Stalking)
- Domestic Violence
- Family Crisis
- Grief and Bereavement
- Hate crime
- Human Trafficking
- Missing Persons
- Motor Vehicle Collisions
- Sexual Assault
- Sudden Death
Please note that there are situations that are beyond the services we are mandated to perform, are too dangerous to the volunteers or will not help victims to benefit. Examples of these are:
- Violent situations, domestic or otherwise, where the combatants have not been separated through arrest, detention or removal to a different residence or shelter.
- Victims who are utilising other services that provide crisis assistance.
- Psychotic, schizophrenic or other actively mentally ill people in crisis will be referred to the appropriate services.
- Victim Services will not provide immediate on scene assitance if there is concern of substance abuse. Victim Services will provide a follow-up at a future date.
- Child victims of physical or sexual assault who are not under their parent’s care and control fall under the mandate of Family and Children’s Services. This will include child runaways and, in general, all children under sixteen years of age whom are not in the care of their parents or legal guardians. Children under sixteen years of age who are in their guardians care and control may be assisted.